Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Baby's 5 Today

Dan's got competition, but he's good with it. This dude stole my heart and hid it somewhere I never hope to find it. When the ultrasound tech said, "It's a boy!" a tear fell from my eye and I wondered if I'd ever recover. How's it possible to fall in love with someone you've never met? I still can't answer the question but I know such magic happened to me. The spell unravels itself daily and I'm neck-deep in crazy love.

I love him because he sat in the barber's chair and said, "I need to get my faux hawk on."

I love him because he told his Sunday School teacher, "I'm hip and fly."

I love him because no matter what I tell him we're having for dinner he says, "You mean tomato and poop soup?"

I love him because when we went to Wal-Mart he told me he wanted a Transformer just like the one on his underwear. Then pulled down his pants in the main aisle to show me what he was talking about. Just so there'd be no confusion.

I love him because he runs to me with a tube of hair gel and says, "Mom, I need you to 'hauk' my 'faux'."

I love him because he walks past the office and looks in at me at the computer. Then he throws his hand up to his forehead and says to his sister, "It's Stuff Christians Like. Mom's trying to be funny again. This is gonna take awhile." Then shakes his head and walks away.

I love that today he's gonna think he's all about it when he sees his likeness plastered on my blog. He's hit the big time for sure.

Thanks for indulging me today. This post is for him; the 5 year old with the faux hauk who stole my heart.

And I love his sister because she told him, after he opened his gifts, "I think it's so great that after you go to bed Mom & Dad are going to give your stuff away to charity."

Oh, the legacy we build around here every day...



15 comments:

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday, little man! You share a birthday with my baby girl, who is 16 today.

Stacy, enjoy these days -- take lots of pictures and write down everything. You're going to blink, and he'll be driving.

Congratulations and hugs to each of you.

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy ---Kids are great - but just wait until those grandkids start coming. Talk about falling in love.....

sara said...

Happy Birthday to your little guy!

They do have a way of stealing your heart...this morning my 2-year-old son woke up at 5:00 a.m., threw a temper tantrum, ordered me around the house, and got mad when I wouldn't comply...but when I said "I love you," he said, "I wuv u too, Mommy!"

All was forgiven instantly.

Someone once told me that these were the longest days and the shortest years. So enjoy.

Happy birthday to him, and to you too...after all, 5 years ago, you did all the work! :)

P.S. Got my Trash Can (Pencil Cup) earlier this week...that made my whole day. Thank you!!

Shaybplus3 said...

Dude Happy Birthday!

Stacy I feel you completely they sure are easy to love! Oh how sweet they can be I truly believe it is the only reason we don't kill them! (My little guy turned 2 just recently.)

Much love!
*Shay*

Wayne Worley said...

Thanks for making me laugh today, Stacy. Well, okay, it wasn't really you. Thank your big little fella there for making me laugh.

My elder son was seven when I watched him eating his cereal, saw the 14-year-old he was going to be some day (next year!), and realized we were halfway there already. I would encourage you not only to enjoy who Stacy's Son is today, but to imagine who he is going to be. It's pretty awesome.

Beth said...

One thing I love about the Christian community...especially online...is how there's women who have been there, done that, and there's those of us who are just getting there. And even though I spend a lot of my days in poopy diapers and puke, I know there's so many moms(and dads!) out there trying to be the best parents they can and supporting each other in the wild awesome process of it all. And believe me, laughter is a HUGE support. How great is it that I can learn from all these people without leaving my living room? My oldest turns five next May (already?), and my youngest is two months old. Baby Jay totally dug the elephant video, Stacy. And then he proceeded to poop his pants. Thanks for the post!!

Stacy from Louisville said...

Beth,

Strangely enough, I have received several personal e-mails from readers who look at my site then poop. Until now I had not made the connection... Thank you for clearing things up.

eireann said...

oh man, that is one handsome guy there. and funny to boot, lucky you! i just about peed my pants over the transformers, what a sight that must have been.

happy birthday, little man!

Anonymous said...

I love your daughter's comment...she sounds like someone I'd get along famously with.

Happy Birthday to your little man!

~Lois

Christy said...

Happy B-day to faux man. It sounds like he's a fun guy (no, not a mushroom) to be around. My kids are 12 and 9 now. I'm totally loving these ages. They are fun and more importantly can do stuff for themselves! Woo hoo!

Raw Faith Real World said...

He sounds like my kind of guy. That's one thing I love about teaching creative kids. They sort of fling themselves at life. I can totally see him rocking a faux hawk much better than the "you spin me right round jesus" guy for sure. That alone is a fine art.

Beth said...

Stacy,

No, thank YOU for "clearing things up" for Baby Jay....

Anonymous said...

He's sounds like he'd be the BFF of my youngest!! Z introduces himself as "Hi, I am Z--- and I'm a singer and a dancer. Do you wanna see me break dance? Stand back, cuz I'm gonna rock an' ROLL Yeah baybee!!!"
I had to tell him FIRMLYy that he and his pal Emma were NOT going to kiss.

sundog said...

Happy Birthday to your little guy. He's so cute.

Amy said...

Your boy is super cute and you just made me really excited for when mine can talk and say cute cool things like that.