Monday, January 4, 2010

Resolutions, SFL Style

(for Lana and Leslie, thanks for the advice)

Since the Mayan calendar says the world will end in 2012 I figure I only have 2 years to go out in style. So this year I have made some resolutions that seem to suit me. I'm putting my best Christmas Shoes forward and here's what I've decided.

My resolutions include:

1)HOT yoga. Who wants to pay $150 to sweat like a pig? Me! I'm going to be Elastagirl, only much more sarcastic, with the only sequin yoga pants in the room. There are some compromises I have had to make for this to happen. The greatest sacrifice: bike shorts. It has been a life long theory that spandex is a privilege, not a right, and that any clingy clothing should come with a disclaimer (read: weight limit). As someone who could stand to lose more than a few pounds I am not a proponent of the big is beautiful theory. The idea that ultra tight clothing makes me more attractive is a lie from the pit of hell. Believe this: if it bulges, shakes, ripples, or cottage cheeses it will be covered, bound and moo-mooed. Period. Until now.

2) Raw foods. I bought a juicer. Why I haven't thought to start my mornings with a fresh glass of kale, garlic and beet juice is any one's guess. The bonus about beginning my day this way is from now on, no one will knows for sure if I have brushed my teeth in the last Milena. Sure, I could be juicing apples, oranges, pears, etc. but what's the fun in that? To be healthy I am choosing sweat(as mentioned above) and vowing to drink pungent vegetables that smell like puke in a bottle. So far, so good.

3) No pets this year. We thought about getting the kids a Guinea Pig. But then figured they probably taste like chicken so decided it was a waste. This will be a pet-dander free home for all of 2010, given that I don't forget to shave my armpits in July and August. Someone remind me.

4) More Bible, less TV. For years I have been trying to find the hidden Biblical meaning in "Desperate Housewives" but have failed. I'm thinking C.S. Lewis could have helped me but as of late he is still dead. I hate when that happens. In all seriousness, media is too prominent in my life. What if Scripture molded my thinking instead of Mario Lopez? Sure, there won't be as many delightful erectile dysfunction commercials but I think I will survive, but just barely. I'll let you know.

5) Less ignoring of children, specifically my own. Given that as I write this they are in the living room doing only heaven knows what with Sharpies, but still. When I'm not wrongly annoyed because they are "in my way" I find they are awesome. I enjoy their company more than the distraction I put before them. This is not a hard resolution, or at least not today anyway.

So there you have it. It's 2010 and I'm already on my way to being a better person. God inspires it and meets me right where I am when it seems like drudgery. For most, resolutions are fleeting, which is understandable. But if being sick of sin is motivation to keep going, then I'm going. Surely I'll mess up along the way but I'm good with it. It's all a process.

What are your resolutions?

Speaking of ED commercials, here's one for the road....

8 comments:

Nelson's Mama said...

I kinda like bike shorts. I don't have to suck my gut in and my thighs don't rub together.

I'll try with my kids...no promises though.

eastern ky pastor said...

My resolution is to stop trying to be better and let God make me new.

Oh and be a better SFLBC Chaplin!

Anonymous said...

Those sound like great resolutions. I'll be trying to cut back on the TV too. Can't reduce the ignoring of kids, as I have none...as far as I know. It's been a while since I checked on that. Gotta go talk to the wife.

Mandy Maria said...

I love number 3. Pets always seems like a good idea, and I love animals, but I'm too travel-happy to care for them as I ought to.

Sarah said...

I don't need hot yoga, I sweat like a pig anyways. You know that Axe commercial, the guy with the spraying armpits? That's me. Except less male.

Good resolutions! Except for the pet one. I love pets. I had a guinea pig when I was little, they are the bomb! They sing when they hear you coming. It's so cute. :)

Stacy from Louisville said...

Sarah,
Guinea Pigs might sing when they hear you coming, but how do they do in a crock pot?

Anonymous said...

Stacy! It worked! Shameless Saturday on the SCL blog led me to YOU! :) WOW!

Here's my resolutions:
Complete a 365 Photo A Day project of my life. And give up coffee. The 365 is for the whole year. The coffee is my Jan goal. I'm doing one big goal per month to keep me moving through the year. :)

Love your blog.

Lana said...

I got a shout out in your blog. My goals for the year are complete. What do I do now?